Study Permits

In order to attend school in Canada, foreign students must apply for a Canadian Study Permit.

Preparing the application

Before submitting a Canadian Study Permit application, you must first be accepted into a designated learning institution. The school can be either at the primary, secondary or post-secondary level, or an English or French language school.

Once you receive your admission letter from your school in Canada, you can proceed with your application for the study permit.

Assessing the application

If you are currently outside Canada you must apply for a Study Permit at the Canadian visa office in your country.

The visa officer will consider the following in your Study Permit application:

  • Whether you are a legitimate student. You must be able to prove that you are really coming to Canada for the primary purpose of attending school and will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay here.

  • Whether you have a criminal record

  • Whether you are in good health, or require a medical examination

  • Whether you require a Temporary Resident Visa

If your application meets the requirements of Canada’s immigration laws, then you will be issued a Study Permit allowing you to study in Canada. 

As an authorized foreign student you will be eligible to work in Canada on a part-time basis during your studies.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

If you graduated  from a designated learning institution, and want to stay in Canada temporarily while working, BPC can help you apply for a  post-graduation work permit.

To get a post-graduation work permit, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age when you apply

  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit

  • apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving confirmation that you completed your program

  • have studied full-time in Canada in a program at least eight months in duration

  • have an official document from your school that confirms you completed and passed all requirements for your program

  • have graduated from a:

    • public post-secondary school, such as a university, college, or CEGEP

    • private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools and receives at least 50% of its financing for operations from government grants (currently applies only to certain private post-secondary institutions in Quebec)

    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law  

If you would like to apply for a study permit or post-graduate work permit, schedule a consultation with us today by clicking on the blue button below.